Anyone finds it difficult to walk down the spreads isle without glancing at the Nutella Jars in trepidation they may end in the trolley. However, no amount of willpower will hold you back from devouring a generous slice of this Nutella Torte if it ever comes across your plate…
Cook and Prep Time: 1 hr 10 mins Serves 8-10
250g unsalted butter
300g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
5 medium free-range eggs, separated
250g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
1 cup Nutella (hazelnut Spread)
1 cup thickened cream
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the butter starts to turn brown and smell biscuity. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat, then whisk in the egg yolks. Transfer to a large clean mixing bowl.
- In another large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks using an electric mixer (the peaks should droop when the beaters are lifted out). Mix the sugar and almonds into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the egg whites using a large metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer pushed into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin, then chill until needed.
- Meanwhile make Nutella Ganache; melt Nutella and cream in a heavy based saucepan on medium, stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes until slightly thickened; pour into a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- When ready to serve, pour ganache over cake, allowing it to drip down the sides, sprinkle generously with crushed peanuts and serve. You can ice the cake and store it in the fridge for up to 3 hours before serving. Allow to come return to room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with slightly whipped cream if you wish.