4 large brown onions, very finely chopped
500g beef mince
2 rosemary sprigs, finely chopped
700ml tomato passata
500g pappardelle dried pasta (Barilla)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, pepper
Grated Parmesan, cheese to serve
- In a large heavy based saucepan heat the olive oil to a medium heat; add onions, a generous seasoning of salt and soften (do not brown) for 30 minutes until translucent.
- Increase heat to high; add rosemary, beef mince and cook until beef is browned and completely cooked through; season well with salt and pepper; add tomato passata, mix until well combined; turn heat to low (a mild simmer) and cook for 2-3 hours; stiring every 20 or so minutes ensuring it does not burn on the bottom.
- Cook pasta according to packets instructions; drain.
- Depending on how you like your pasta to meat ratio you may want to use all the pasta, but start with 3/4 of pasta and mix through the bolognese. You can always add more pasta.
- Serve pasta with a generous grating if Parmesan cheese.
To finish, add a small tsp of sugar to add extra sweetness.
The longer you cook the onions and bolognese, the more flavour, richness and depth you will create.